Thursday, June 24, 2010

Free-Fall

I'm forty four now. Thirty years ago, I'd been to a Doctor Who convention, a Genesis concert, and trekked up a few hills. I'd unmistakably become the person I am today. I still do all these things. Where will I be another thirty years? If I'm still alive, I'll be seventy-four. If I'm very lucky, I'll still have most of my sight and hearing, and some of my mobility. Anything after that will be a bonus. Fortunately, I enjoy sitting in a chair with a book, talking or otherwise, increasingly one I've love in the past. If I avoid dementia, I'll be OK. I have no children on whom to become dependent. No heirlooms over which to fret. No nest egg awaiting maturity.
I'm thinking about this now, because with each year seeming to pass faster than the one before, I am objectively accelerating towards my dotage. It will be upon me before I know it, as every anniversary seems to be. The remainder of my useful life is going to pass by in a fraction of the perceived time that the preceding decades have.
What am I going to do with the second act before the curtain finally falls? Keep Buggering On. I don't have any great unfulfilled ambitions because I'm living all of them already. I share a living, growing, evolving marriage with Helen. I have a career which I mainly like, when it's not crushing me with anxiety. I'm kind to myself and the miraculous planet I was born on.
The thing that makes this realization, that I've now had most of my memorable experience bearable, is that it comes hand in hand with the maturity to cope with it. I think. Rather than striving and pining, I manage by making the best of what is beyond my control. I'm in free-fall and enjoying the view, even though I'm falling faster and faster, ironically never achieving terminal velocity.

20 comments:

江婷 said...

Poverty tries friends.................................................................

淑娟淑娟 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

玉婷良DGFHFJ瑋黃吳 said...

君子立恆志,小人恆立志。.................................................................

PearleY建佑 said...

很榮幸能到你的BLOG留言o^~^o..................................................................

tuckerdarrell翁tuckerdarrell怡婷 said...

累了嗎?來杯咖啡休息一下吧!............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

相見亦無事,不來常思君..................................................................

崔佐安崔佐安 said...

來看看你逛逛blog囉,加油!............................................................

俊成俊成 said...

期待你發表的新文章!跟你說一聲加油。............................................................

偉倫偉倫 said...

鞋匠能作好鞋子,因為他只做鞋,不做別的。..................................................

蔡舜娟蔡舜娟 said...

感謝您願意分享您的生活經驗~~支持您的更新哦!..................................................................

徐俊賴靜雯賢 said...

好的blog需要我們一起努力!............................................................

思張張亦 said...

It is easier to get than to keep it.......................................................................

燕明中延 said...

謝謝大大分享!!經典!~(。・ω・)............................................................

宇緯陳陳宇緯陳陳 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today.......................................................................

468ds said...

生命是一頓豐富的宴席,有人卻寧可挨餓................................................

法榮陳法榮陳法榮陳 said...

感謝大大的無私分享 讓小弟獲益良多 終於知道網上還有這麼多的好東西≧▽≦"
............................................................

凡柯柯豐柯柯柯 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

開懷幸福的生活,是每個人的夢想~~希望大家都能夠實現!...............................................................

蕾蕾 said...

好的blog需要我們一起努力!

王辛江淑萍康 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................