Friday, May 28, 2010

Eating Snails


[ This post is 18 months old - I composed it offline and have just found it. Better late than never. You may disagree. ]

As a year ago, we've come on a short break away from Edinburgh, this time to Cumbria. We're staying just outside Kirkoswald in a big old hall that's been converted into modern apartments. It's very posh.
Last night we went to see in the new year with a swanky meal at a nearby Gastropub. The dining room was above the pub, and as we were called up after our complimentary glasses of champagne (two for Helen, none for me, then) it dawned on us that we were the only sober people dining that night by a very long margin. The other diners, all of whom were middle-aged or elderly, and in large family groups, were full of seasonal spirit, and laughing continually at the appearance of the party balloons. As there poppers went off, I flinched repeatedly, like a shell-shocked infantryman.
Still, the food was great. It occurred to me that the term “Gastropub” might be derived, not prom “Gastronomic” as I had thought, but in fact, from “Gastropod”, as the second course was snails. We'd never tried these before, and I'd been anxious for a couple of days that I wouldn't be able to leave a clean plate, but the old rule of vegetarian coooking (“drown it in garlic and it will taste delicious”) applied here. They weren't rubbery or bursty like wine gums as I'd expected, but more like the fatty end of a beef steak or mushrooms in a vol-au-vent. Yum. Helen wimped out and went for a cleansing sorbet instead.
We had planned to see in the new year at the pub, but downstairs was full of noisy locals, and it wouldn't have felt like a continuation of the evening. I tried to turn Helen's car outside, but couldn't, and started to tack the car back the way it had been facing so I could try again further up the lane. Some local lads decided to help me out, telling me where I had room, and moving some obstacles, so I felt obliged to go back to my original plan. My movements seemed to baffle the lads, who started knocking on Helen's passenger window. I became increasingly besieged and roared off (in several senses), cursing my lack of social ease.
Anyway, I had taken Helen out in her car, eaten snails, and managed not to kill anyone, so I felt that was a fair end to the year.
We saw in 2009 quietly at the apartment, marvelling at how awful the TV coverage was. The were some really big fireworks just outside our window, which we applauded like operagoers. Then to bed.

5 comments:

517SeritaG_Jamar0 said...

色聊天室ipkgirl 米克情色論壇 yam交友aio 同志色教館et免費影片下載 情人視訊專區 免費看avdvd 單身聯誼 a 片天堂 武則天視訊聊天室 love104影音視訊網 成人情色視訊網 sex成人小說,777成人區 love104影音live秀 台灣情色綜合論壇 0401網愛聊天室 卡通aa片免費看sexy girl d736 免費聊天室 557557視訊交友 電話視訊交友 影音交友lover99 18h mm cg com 情慾av383日本視訊 情色聊天室 ez104 日本同志色教館 avdvd 色妹妹情色網85cc免費影片 視訊辣妹 qq 美美色網 免費成人動漫 聊天室交友primo 視訊交友 aooyy com 日本a v無碼短片 情色34c視訊交友 熟女無碼a片 38ga成人網 線上a片-免費影片 月宮貼圖色妹妹嘟嘟情人色網 彩虹情人視訊交友網 後宮-成人影片 免費視訊美女 完美女人視訊網 ez檳榔西施摸奶影片 性愛視訊交友 優質成人 xd成人圖區 視訊聊天室yani s101成人大喇叭 嘟嘟成年網 色美媚視訊美女 片免費aa免費視訊聊天論壇 免費試看av免費成人電影

HaroldM22 said...

靠山山倒,靠人人老,靠自己最好。 ............................................................

burtong said...

More haste, less speed.............................................................

judyrod said...

免費成人文成人色圖片免費成人影騙免費成人電影觀看曼雪兒情色文學成人小說亞洲無碼影片區亞洲短片 亞洲長片亞洲短片亞洲長片亞洲貼圖站亞洲電影瘋情網亞洲瘋情網下載亞洲瘋情影城亞洲歐美影片亞洲免費線上a片亞洲免費電影亞洲免費情色影片男同自男同志gay圖片男同志gay網男色情片男免費聊天亞色情網亞亞光碟網亞亞成人網免費影片亞亞成人影片亞洲go2免費影片亞洲成人線上看亞洲色圖亞洲免費色情片亞洲線上a片女同志聊天室淫美成人論壇成人韭南籽85cc成人片

鈺苓賴 said...

you did a good job..................................................