Friday, January 16, 2004

It's been a busy week. Highlights include being elbowed on a bus by a stranger getting off, and called a "fucking cunt". When I asked incredulously, "What's your problem?", the stranger replied "You, you English radge". I have no idea what I had done to provoke her. I was left surrounded by Scottish people on the bus, and feeling full of pent-up emotions. My initial hope, that the next person she addresses in this manner turns out to be an 18-stone psychopathic rapist, has calmed down. I must admit that when I got to the gym, which is where I was heading, I was able to put a lot more energy into my routine. I manged 100 Abdominal sit-ups for example, and pressed all my weights in one go instead of pausing.

I did several things for the first time ever yesterday. One was walking down much of Gorgie Road, which has so much more to offer the pedestrian than the cyclist or bus passenger. It was very atmospheric at dusk. I was reminded of West Kensington, bizarrely. Another new thing was buying meat from a butcher's shop. They were very friendly and I find butcher's meat far less suspicious than supermarket stuff. I cooked pork chops in an apple and mustard cream sauce, together with potatoes lyonnaise and spiced red cabbage. Fantastic.

Sky were supposed to come and install Sky+ today. But my explicit request that the job would need a Heights Team had gone unheeded, and they sent three men who were very pleasant but suffered from vertigo. The native Americans are coming on Monday, though, which is a relief. Nevertheless, Sky is an example of just how badly you can run a monopoly and get away with it.

George Bush with British astronaut Michael Foale, current commander of the International Space Statiom, speaking live from the ISS before Bush's announcement.

I'm on a bit of a high about two announcements this week. George Wanker Bush has redeemed himself slightly by announcing a space exploration roadmap that means that with a bit of luck I'll see a permanent moonbase and a human on Mars in my lifetime. Anyone who thinks this is an inappropriate use of resources will presumably not mind their descendents being wiped out by a passing asteroid, nuclear exchange, or global pandemic, when there is no human colony anywhere else in the universe. There is a distinct possibility that Earth is the only place where there is any kind of life, and we must preseve it. Our DNA is more important than our individual lives. If children in Africa stave because aid money is being spent on learning to live off Earth, then so be it. It is ultimately short-sighted not to make provision for the future.

I'll step off my soap box now.

The other announcment was that with the discovery of Day of Armageddon, there are now only 108 missing episodes of Doctor Who. And it's a belter of an episode, too. Can't wait to see it.

No comments: